Friday, August 24, 2007

I'm getting the "school itch"

Maybe it's the fact that two of my friends just started law school, one is about to start her second year, and another is about to start a graduate program, but I'm feeling the urge to go back to school. I absolutely loved my undergraduate years. A lot of that had to do with the immense freedom I had to use my time as I saw fit. With the minor exceptions of the 12.5 hours per week I attended class, the few hours a week I did volunteer work, and the interspersed periods when I was employed part-time, I was free to pursue my studies when and how I wanted. The pursuit of my studies is what kept it interesting though, both assigned and extracurricular. Actually, the extracurricular is probably what inspired me the most. I certainly enjoyed a lot of the assigned readings and the topics I researched for some of the papers I wrote, but it was the educational path that I created myself (with the help of the authors I read, speakers I heard, and students and faculty I interacted with) that was so enthralling. For me, there are few things as enjoyable as discovering a new idea or piece of history and then spending hours researching it, discussing it with others, and formulating an opinion about it.

Of course, towards the end of my undergraduate studies, I was getting the itch to do something, instead of just studying it. So perhaps I'm destined to transition back and forth between the two.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are such an academic at heart and thrive in intellectual settings, that I think you should go back.

Six Strings & Sunshine said...

Let's all get together and take a course - Lit, Poli Sci, Soc Dept.


Any takers?

Dan Brown said...

I would like to do that if it wasn't so expensive. I don't have time in the spring anyway. Maybe next fall...